
Examples:
(TOO SIMPLE)
- When the author mentioned that the spirit bear was from British Columbia, it reminded me that I am live in British Columbia. (PLEASE NOTE THAT
(DEEP AND MEANINGFUL)
- When the author wrote about an aluminum boat and how they were traveling across rough waters, it reminded me of my grandfather. He is no longer with us, but when my grandfather was around, he often took me boating along the west coast to go bird watching. I have many wonderful memories of him. We often saw bald eagles and even saw different types of bears on the shore. I think that I may have even seen a 'SPIRIT BEAR'!
Once you feel your connection meets the criteria that we discussed in class today, post it here. Remember to indicate which type of connection you made.
My first connition is text to self because I went outside on a stormy day with thin clothes on and I was really cold.
ReplyDeleteMy second connection is text to world and when the author said Spirt bear it reminded me of the sprit bear in Vancouver that had lots of painting on it and when me my mom and dad went to Vancouver and we saw the Spirt bears.
My third connection is text to text because I have a connetion about the alunium boat and when me my mom
And dad went
On one we went on one because so we could see the snowbirds and we had a good time on the boat.
For my connections im going to do text to self my first text to self is. Theres a ginormouse bear on the front cover and when I was on grouse mountain and I saw a ginomouse scary brown bear. Once I wore thin clothes on a freezing cold day just like cole did in the book, but I was freezing cold sort of like I was in the middle of an ice cube.
ReplyDeleteMy first connection is text to text. The book is The Spiderwick Chronicles, because Simon gets into trouble so they move away.
ReplyDeleteMy second connection is text to world. The title makes me think of the Spirit Bears that live on the Central and North coasts of British Columbia.
My third connection is text to self. Cole's getting sent to the forest in the Circle Justice program reminds me of when my family and I go camping in the forest.
@ Grangero8 - Please repost more information. I would like you to elaborate/expand on your connections. I would like to hear more details. You mentioned that Simon gets into trouble so they move away. What part of 'TOUCHING SPIRIT BEAR' reminds you of this? Why does it remind you of this? Choose one of your connections and rewrite it in detail. :)
ReplyDeleteIn the book the touching spirit bear I had a text to self connection with the elder rowing the boat. It reminds me of when I went camping/fishing with my dad and opa. He has a gray boat like the one in the book.
ReplyDelete@ Cole McGrath - When you think of camping/fishing with your dad and opa, how did it make you feel? Were your trips special to you? Why? Feel free to post another comment. :)
ReplyDeleteMy first connection was when Cole was on the aluminum boat with a thin t-shirt and his baggy pants. I remember he could feel the wind on him and I know how he felt because, I remember when I went to a ski resort with my family, we went out for a walk to see the site. That day I wasen't wearing a very appropriate shirt for the weather. So I remember feeling the rushing wind on me just like Cole did when he was on the aluminum boat. (Text to self)
ReplyDeleteMy second connection takes place in the book where Garby tries to touch Cole's shoulder very politely when Cole stubbornly shrugged away and moved away from Garby. I connect to this part of the book because, I remember a child that I was innocently trying to help and I do remember a time where I put my hand softly on their shoulder, but they did the same thing as Cole did to Garby and rudly shrugged and stepped away. (Text to self)
My third connection is the part when Cole bullies Peter and shoves his head on the wall. Cole later goes to juvenile and has to suffer his punishment there. I conect to this part of the story because, I personaly think this as a global issue. The reason why it is, is because hundreds of children get bullied around the world whether or not it's physicaly or verbaly, in this case it physicaly. Either way it's still very shocking. (Text to world)
:P
@ Winnie the Pooh - Try to write in a less conversational style. Be sure to pay attention to proper sentence structure and punctuation. Feel free to repost if you like. :)
ReplyDelete@ Pooh Bear - Great post! Way to go! You went above and beyond what was asked of you. Grade 6's, please read POOH BEAR'S post as it is an excellent example of what I am looking for. However, remember that you only have to post one of your connections. If you would like, feel free to post more than one connection. :)
ReplyDelete@ Pooh Bear - Remember to double check if any words are underlined in red before you post to avoid any spelling errors. :)
ReplyDelete@HillcrestBlog- Will we be going in partners and editing each others connections tomorrow???
ReplyDelete@ HillcrestBlog - Unfortunately my computer dosen't underline the words that I spell inncorectly. :(
ReplyDeleteMy first connection was text to self.I connected to the part that says Cole went and fought with another child after school.I connected to this cause I remember last month when I was walking from school I saw two kids fighting each other.
ReplyDeleteI connect to the part that said there is a big Kodiak bear out in the wilderness cause when we went up the grouse mountain I saw three huge grizzly bears.
This paragraph is text to text. I read a book about a child who was as mean as Cole is and he would always grab oldies purses and he would knock them out so that they don't know what he looks like.
@ Pooh Bear - If we have time, we will be going into the computer lab to do some peer editing and proofreading. Also, download an upgrade for your browser and that may fix your problem of not underlining your incorrectly spelled words. If that doesn't work, try updating your java and possibly your flash. If you don't know how to do this, I'll show you tomorrow when we go into the computer lab.
ReplyDelete@ Sponge Bob - How did it make you feel when you saw the two kids fighting? Did you feel the same way when you heard about the character, Cole, beating up the other student? Explain a few more details if you have time. Also, remember 'CAUSE' should read 'BECAUSE'. Avoid using slang terms in your work. I have one more question for you.....What book does 'TOUCHING SPIRIT BEAR' remind you of?
ReplyDelete@ Oreo - Make sure that you provide enough information in your connections. You didn't indicate what part of the book made you think of the time you went outside during a storm. Be sure to proofread your work and your spelling before posting it to the blog. Sentence structure is an important part of your writing so pay close attention to it. )
ReplyDeleteMy first connection to the novel "Touching Spirit Bear" is text to self. I remember my dad saying "animals feel the same way we feel, you treat animals the way you want to be treated". He said that because I owned a cotton tail rabbit and he was in a cage most of the time. I started letting him out of his cage so he could roam around free in the house. My second connection is also text to self. I remember one day i went to a creek with my mom and dad and it was hot outside so i wore thin clothing. Then the weather took a turn for the worst and then it became freeeeeeezing! :)
ReplyDelete@ Sandy Squirrel - Good connection! Your dad is a wise man! Don't forget to edit/proofread prior to posting to the blog to ensure you haven't made any spelling/capital errors.
ReplyDeleteThis comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDeleteI have a connection with this short sentence "A September cool breeze". Because here in Surrey we have a lot of cool breezes especially in September.(Text to self)
ReplyDeleteI have a connection when Cole gets smaller and smaller when they go farther away from him in the boat. I have a connection with it because when I went to Victoria for the rugby trip I saw this lighthouse, so the farther we went the smaller it became! (Text to self)
Connection the touching spirit bear
ReplyDelete1: The guy name Cole have red creepy eye like what my friend unfriendly dog and it have red and creepy eye too. So I think that Cole is really mean and he is scary person.
2: Cole breaks the window and steals something or hurt someone like what some high school student do. I think Cole and everyone should stop stealing and hurting people.
3: Cole is the guy everyone talks about and tells you to don't go near him like in high school do and bullies.
I have a connection with the cold september air cause i've worn thin clothes Before and i froze cause i was that cold :)
ReplyDeleteI also have a connection of when he has to go to the island cause i've watched a movie were this guy has to go to the island but its much more different
ReplyDeleteThis comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDelete(REVISED) I have a connection with this very tiny sentence "A September cool breeze." Because here in Surrey there is a lot of cool breezes especially in September.* Also it reminds me of the leaves changing, raking leaves into a huge pile and jumping in it, having warm hot chocolate, it reminds me of the Fall
ReplyDelete(REVISED)In the book the touching spirit bear I had a text to self connection with the elder rowing the boat. It reminds me of when I went camping/fishing with my dad and opa. He has a gray boat like the one in the book and I coat a really big fish. I had a great time. It was very special because I never go camping with only my dad and grandpa
ReplyDelete*I changed sentence structure and made my connection deeper.
(REVISED)I connect to the part that says Cole went and fought with and other child after school because I remember when i was walking home from school I saw two kids fighting each other it made me feel bad they are fighting and they think it's the best way to settle an argument.
ReplyDeleteI connect to a part in the book touching spirit bear where it mentioned there is a big Kodiak bear out free in the wilderness. I remember when we went to the grouse mountain at the very top i saw three grizzly bears, it was amazing to see three vicious and very big animals
*I changed the way I was saying cause and I changed it to because.I also added a few more sentences to my paragraphs.
This comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDelete(REVISED) For my first connection I am going to do text to self. Once on a frosty cold day I wore a t-shirt and a thin (millimeter) jacket I felt like I was in a ice cube thats been freezing for 20 days. cole also wore thin clothes on a freezing day I wonder how he felt.
ReplyDelete* I added capitals changed my wording and I put more periods.
(REVISED)My first connection to the novel "Touching Spirit Bear" is text to self. I remember my dad saying "animals feel the same way we feel, you treat animals the way you want to be treated". He said that because I owned a cotton tail rabbit, he was light brown and *black little strands of hair.He was in a cage most of the time. I started letting him out of his cage so he could roam around freely in the house.* Just as Garby said to Cole when he said "I would kill the bear if I saw it".I added punctuation and more detail such as the last sentence:)
ReplyDelete( REVISED) My first connection is text to self because i have the connection with the cold Sepember air. I have went outside one time and i was wearing thin clothes so i was very cold.
ReplyDeleteMy second connection is when the author said Spirt Bear it reminded me of when me and my mom and dad go to Vancouver. The spirt bears have lots of paintings on it and they look really cool.
My third connetion is text to text because i have a connetion about the alunium boat when the auther said the word and me my mom and dad whent on a alunium boat. We went to go see the snow birds. It was really cool. :)
*i changed some words up and i put more periods
[REVISED] I have a connection with the september breeze cause i've been through very cold weather. Before and this is what Vancouvers like it reminds me of when. I use to drink hot chocolate with my brother and sister and telling funny stories together.
ReplyDelete(REVISED) My third connection is the part when Cole bullies Peter and shoves his head on the wall. Cole later goes to juvenile detention and has to suffer his punishment there. I conect to this part of the story because, I personaly think this as a global issue. The reason why it is, is because hundreds of children get bullied around the world whether or not it's physicaly or verbally, in this case it physicaly. Either way it's still very shocking. (Text to world)
ReplyDelete(revised)
ReplyDeleteMy first connection is text to text. The book reminds me of The Spiderwick Chronicles. I think in some ways the characters Cole and Simon are similar because Simon gets into trouble so his family is forced to move. Cole gets in trouble and goes to Juivinial Detention. That is why I think the are similar.
*I went through it added more detail and proper punctuation.
My second connection is text to world. The title Touching Spirit Bear reminded me of all the Kermode Bears that live on the central and northern coasts of BC. Also how they should be protected because of the beautiful bears they are.
*I again added more details
My third connection is text to self when Cole gets sent to the forest in the circle justice program it reminds me of when my family went camping we also had to sleep in a tent on the ground just like does but he burns the tent.
*I added detail